Saturday, September 17, 2016

Assignment 1- Formal Email

To: Brad Blackstone
From: Jamie Boey
Date: Septemer 17, 2016
Subject: Self introduction

Dear Brad,

I am Jamie from telematics TLM1010. I am writing to introduce to you about myself, such as my interest and goals for the telematics programme, as well as my aims for the future.

Before joining the telematics programme in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), I was pursing a diploma in Ngee Ann Polytechnic's Business Information Technology (BIT) and graduated in April 2016. I took a diploma in BIT because I was interested in how IT can be used to help a business to operate more efficiently and effectively. Through the various modules i took, my interest in IT grew as I learnt how technology can be used to help so many people in their work and in their daily life. An example would be the application that enables commuters to view the estimated bus arrival timings. With this application, commuters can be more certain of bus arrivals and make the best options out of their bus ride. With this, i decided to take up the telematics degree as it seems like an interesting hybrid course where i can do both IT and engineering.

Despite having an interest in IT, I do not have a strong foundation in programming and physics. Hence, my goal for studying in this programme is to overcome my weaknesses and excel in these areas. I believe that the skills I take away from these modules will definitely come in handy when I pursue a career as an engineer in the future.

As the telematics industry is a relatively new and rapidly growing industry, I look forward to graduating with a degree in telematics and joining the industry as a telematics engineer in the future. The knowledge and skills I have learn in SIT can give me a good head start in my career and enable me to excel in my job and duties as an engineer.

Yours sincerely,
Jamie Boey

_________________________________________________________________________________

I have commented on Li Fang, Telson and Sze Dee's blog.

Edited on 30/9/2016



8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jamie,

    Thank you for the introduction. It gave me a clear overview of how Business Information Technology (BIT) students, can utilise their technical skills to create products that benefit others.

    I agree that the Telematics industry is still relatively new, but i am hopeful that more people would consider pursuing a career in this exciting field.

    I enjoyed reading your post and i hope that we can learn good communication skills from one another, to help us excel in our careers.

    Regards,
    Telson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Telson,

      Thank you for your kind words. Like you mentioned, I believe that we can learn good communication skills from one another which will definitely come in handy in the future. I look forward to learning from you.

      Regards,
      Jamie

      Delete
  4. Dear Jamie,

    I enjoy reading your blog post, as it allows me to know you better.

    I also agree that since Telematics is a new industry, that it requires young talents like you and me therefore I believe that this path is worth pursuing.

    Regards,
    Lifang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lifang,

      Thank you for your kind words. I agree and believe that in the near future, more talents will join the industry due to the great potential it has to offer. I look forward to learning and working with you.

      Regards,
      Jamie

      Delete
  5. This is a very fine introductory letter, Jamie. It is clear and well focused, mainly describing your academic background and interest in telematics. I really enjoyed learning of how you connect your background and your future aims within the field of telematics.

    That being said, at some point we'd all like to know something about your hobbies and other interests, away from school. Who is Jamie away from work?

    other than that, there are a few minor language issues to take note of:

    1) subject verb disagreement
    --- the application that enable ... >>>
    --- my goals for studying in this programme is ... >>>
    2) capitalization (telematics / telematics engineer)
    3) With the knowledge and skills i have learnt in SIT, I believe that it can give me... >>>
    The knowledge and skills I learn in SIT can give me....

    I look forward to working with you this term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad,

      Thank you for your kind reply. I will take note of the improvement that I can make to my introduction letter. I look forward to learning and working with you this term.

      Regards,
      Jamie

      Delete